Friday, September 20, 2013

Wetlands In The Desert

Like many parts of the nation, southeastern NM has been under a severe drought for the last two or three years.  I remember reading somewhere that 93% of rangeland and pastures in our state is rated as very poor due to the lack of precipitation.  Many ranchers and dairies in the area have had to reduce the size of their herds and some have had to get rid of them altogether - due to the increased prices of feed; which largely is due to the fact that the farmers have a lower supply of water to farm with. 

Countless times when Graham and I would ride the 4-wheeler to the Pecos River to do some target practice, we'd find that the riverbed was all but dried up.  More times than not, it was absolutely dry.  Graham would ride up and down the scorched riverbed, just because he could.  I was always to chicken to go with him.  =)
 
One of our many times seeing the Pecos River with minimal water flowing.
(March 2013)

Last week ours and the surrounding areas received a much needed break from our crazy, dry conditions.  Between Wednesday and Friday, our rain gauge showed 4 1/2 inches - more than I can ever remember seeing before.  It was gorgeous and so relaxing to just sit on the back porch as the rain came down. 

Since it's been so dry for such a long time, it caused lots of flash flooding in the surrounding communities.  The campgrounds in Lakewood, just south of Artesia, had to have around 80 people evacuated.  I also heard that there were a few homes evacuated in Roswell - due to the water in the canals rising at an alarming rate. 

I cross the Pecos River every day when I head to work (and come home), and although I assumed the river would be running with a little more water than normal, I was shocked that it had reached it's full capacity... and then some!  I read on KRQE that it was running at flood capacity (obviously) and was at it's highest stage in more than 53 years.  I've never seen anything like it in my life; it was almost like I was at a place I'd never been to before. 


The water covered the pastures for what seemed like miles and miles.  There was also a herd of cows that piled themselves on one of the highest mounds of dirt that was completely surrounded by water.  I assume it will be a week or so until the rancher will be able to get to them for feeding. 
 
 
 
 
 
  

 


I'm sure it has effected a few of the farms that were closer to the river, but I think for the most part it's been something that we are all extremely grateful for.  We've needed rain for such a long time and God heard our prayers.  In terms of being in a drought, we're certainly not out of the woods yet, but it can't hurt.  I for one am excited to see the river running again!

No comments:

Post a Comment